The dog is snoring next to me which is a sure sign that The Bachelorette was just on. Hometown Dates is usually one of my favorite episodes of the season as it’s always fascinating to see where each of the final four come from, but Wally and The Husband disagree. The Husband completely zoned out by Marcus’s date and even had the gall to ask me to recap it for him. Um, that’s what the DVR and this blog is for, Honey.
Before I comment on the dates, just wanted to take a moment to discuss the way that Eric Hill’s death was revealed on the show. It seemed really unnecessary to film an entire 2 minutes of all the guys waiting for Andi’s arrival to give them all the news at Chris Harrison’s house. Though truthfully, I’ve always wanted to see Chris Harrison’s house (but not for this reason of course). It also seemed that the way Chris H presented the “issue” to the guys before Andi arrived that the news had something to do with Andi (she realized she’s not interested in any of them OR she decided that she wants to start dating Chris Harrison – I kind of expected her to come out of his bedroom wearing a bathrobe or something). I guess this footage really gave us a raw view at how shocked, devastated and emotional that everybody was over Eric’s death. Andi did really regret her last interaction with Eric, which at the time, seemed wildly immature on her part. It did seem rather petty to have a rose ceremony just 24 hours after learning of Eric’s death, but I guess delaying the process was not an option. I really hope that Eric’s family is doing ok as he seemed like such a unique and genuinely nice person.
As for the dates, the following stood out for me:
(1) I had no idea that Nick had like 10 siblings. Or 9? Are they all from the same set of parents? The youngest one, Bella, stole the show for me. I loved her questions for Andi and loved even more that she couldn’t remember the answers to them when Nick asked her. Maria seemed smart to question whether he could actually have the feelings for Andi that he claimed to. It’s like every contestant that’s made it this far has gone completely insane and their closest family members are trying to get them to reclaim their brain cells. Nick is still sporting that ridiculous scarf which just makes him look like a poet of some sort.
(2) How can you not love Chris the Farmer? Can Andi just dump him already so he can be our next Bachelor? I’d love for him to find a Farmer’s wife. Coast to Coast search for the Farmer’s wife! He’d be perfect. I just loved his family and 3 blonde sisters. Love that we learn how successful Chris has been. I loved his farm house with very modern appliances. I love that he tried to convince Andi that she’d be thrilled to be a homemaker or could practice law in Iowa (not going to happen). He’s adorable and could give Andi a nice and simple life. She’d be bored to tears in a matter of minutes. And how long can he really listen to her pretend to be excited with her, “Shut-Ups” at seeing a tractor. How else did she think he got around on the farm than with a tractor? Why is she so shocked that it has big wheels?
(3) Andi hunts? And her family has a lake house in Alabama? Maybe she’s not Jewish after all.
(4) I was pretty certain that Josh would be the one going home tonight. The Husband informed me that Josh’s brother, Aaron Murray, was drafted in the fifth round by the Kansas City Chiefs. He was the starting quarterback for the Georgia Bulldogs before that. So Andi’s options are to be a homemaker on a farm or to follow Josh’s brother around to football games in Kansas City every Sunday? I don’t think she’ll go for either of these options after being The Bachelorette. I noticed a borderline pout when the conversation at Josh’s family’s house was not 100% focused on her and Josh. I still don’t know how deep his emotions run. But he’s got a very attractive brother and mother and still has the best teeth this season.
(5) I was embarrassed for Marcus and his strip tease for Andi. I’m sure that was 100% the producers’ suggestion but it just felt icky. What I was surprised about was how much Andi went on about Marcus’s “hotness.” And she fully admits that he’d adore her. And she’s attracted to him intellectually. So what’s the problem? He dropped the I Love Yous too early. I think she was definitely into him until he kept laying it on. It was literally every other sentence that he said to her.
(6) I loved Andi’s hair in the rose ceremony tonight – all loose waves. You know she was way too comfortable with Marcus’s family by the fact that she wore a pony tail. I like that Andi hasn’t been wearing too many pairs of ridiculous shoes. She sported Converse sneakers for her date with Josh.
(7) Every guy was in tears this episode. Have there ever been a final four so in love with The Bachelorette? Each is ready to propose.
I’m getting anxious for the overnight fantasy dates because Andi is probably the only person in the show’s history who uses this opportunity to get to know the people. She’s not afraid to call them out if it goes poorly (like with Juan Pablo). So tragedy aside, tonight’s episode was more interesting than not interesting, but mostly because the families all seemed great.
Chris the Farmer is coming from behind but really hoping he doesn’t make it any further because I want him as our next Bachelor. “The Farmer and the Belle” – I can already see the trailers for his season. I think her heart is telling her to go for Josh (she’s still seriously attracted to him), but her head is saying that Nick or Chris are better options for a long term relationship. What do you think?