I was so convinced that there wasn’t a new episode of The Bachelor on tonight that I planned an actual date night with The Husband. This was not a smart move. It wasn’t until the babysitter was in our living room and The Husband was flipping through the TV Guide page that he confirmed we were supposed to go to the Bahamas tonight. Panic set in. I bought tickets to surprise The Husband with a viewing of the mid-season finale of AMC’s The Walking Dead at our local 92Y where a handful of our favorite cast members (Glenn, Maggie, Carol, Michone, etc.) would also be there in person to answer questions. We LOVE this show and the premiere of the second half of the season starts on Valentine’s Day, so it was perfect timing to refresh our memories on where we left off. What to do? Well, we had already shelled out money for the sitter AND the tickets, so off we went.
The biggest surprise of the night was that when we got to the theater and the lights went down – the episode before us was one that we had never seen before.The Husband whispered to me that they had tricked us and had blessed the audience with a sneak preview of the season premiere which airs this Sunday night. We were so excited to sit there, gripping our seats at all the action that went on, etc. and be “in the know” on the new season!!! It wasn’t until the episode ended, the lights came up for intermission and we pulled out our iPhones to look up what the plot was of the season finale that aired months ago that we realized that for some reason, WE HAD COMPLETELY MISSED WATCHING THE FINALE. I have no idea how we missed it on our DVR. We know the finale aired Thanksgiving weekend and it was a busy weekend, but come on! We are loyal followers of The Walking Dead and to have waited this long only to realize that we missed the mid-season finale, is just MORONIC. Imagine if you thought you had seen the finale of The Bachelor only to realize you hadn’t and then watched it on a big movie screen with the cast in front of you answer questions upon its conclusion? We were in shock!
So here it is 10:25 PM in a snowy New York City and I’m about to start watching now. Tomorrow is going to be a looooong day. Here it goes…
It’s now just under midnight, and I’ve seen it all. Talking about intellectual things is Olivia’s jam? Can we put that on a fortune cookie? She thinks that Emily’s too young for Ben and yet they’re both 23? Why do I feel just a bit of remorse that Olivia and her wide shocked facial expressions are a thing of the past? The Husband and I were wondering if she’s still on that island? If she was finally rescued, did they take her to a separate hotel to recover for the evening because it looked way too stormy for any planes to take off? Did she treat herself to a massage at a local spa? Farewell, Olivia. I’m hoping she is still working on herself and wondering where the hell things went wrong.
Other shocking moments this evening:
- Caila’s Date. WTF? Was anyone else confused by her conflicting declarations? She feels like she loves Ben. In love with Ben? Hmmm. Love him like a teddy bear? Maybe? So she FEELS like she loves Ben but she’s not sure her brain loves Ben. Oh and there’s a chance she could break his heart. He’s not lovable and her smile is going to slay him. Caila is like a love assassin. She’s hiding confusion in that smile of hers. Still not sure where we came out of their interaction except MORE CONFUSED. Ben seems attracted to the fact that she’s not fawning all over him. That’s her secret weapon.
- Amazing juxtaposition of Caila’s date with Leah’s growing frustrating. I mean, at the beginning of the episode, I felt that Leah had a legit gripe. How could Caila be going on her second one on one when Leah hadn’t even had a first date yet. I loved how Leah’s describing the “leap of faith” she wants to take with Ben while Ben literally is leaving off a boat, holding hands with Caila. Very symbolic.
- Leah’s Lies. I mean, it’s one thing for a girl to sacrifice her time with The Bachelor to bash another girl. We know what happens to those girls. They obviously don’t have enough to talk about on their own and their insecurities get the best of them. Well Leah was that girl this season but what we’ve never seen: blatant lies to throw someone else under the bus. Was Leah just threatened by the obviously strong connection between Ben and Lauren B? Of course. But I don’t think we’ve seen someone actively try to sabotage one of the other relationships and then completely deny it. The girls saw right through it though. Then we got to witness Leah try to seduce Ben with a hair straightening iron and blushed cheeks. It seriously backfired. She’s gone but her mission is accomplished of planting a doubt seed about Lauren B in Ben’s brain. Question is – does she actually believe Lauren B is two-faced? Is she questioning Lauren B’s sincerity which I have done 2 or 3 episodes back? Perhaps. Guess we’ll have to see.
- Emily’s Conquest. I LOVE that Emily got the rose on the two on one date. Mostly because Olivia used the “Love” card as a strategic device. It was almost like she was thinking of how to stick around and the “L” card was the last thing she could think of since she’s not a witty, Irish dancing, stunning, funny blonde identical twin. The only thing I couldn’t understand was why Emily did not use one of the hair ties on her wrist (she had 2 of them) to pull her hair back in the wind.
- Pig feeding. Definitely a highlight of the episode – watching those pigs jump up on the ladies even when they tried to stop them. Do pigs naturally live in the Bahamas, near the ocean? I thought pigs live on farms? What do I know?
- Becca’s Honesty. I hand it to Becca for being able to verbalize her insecurity about Ben’s attraction to Lauren B. Of course Ben can’t really comfort her with a “Don’t worry, I like you more,” but at least he’s gotten to the root of every girl’s problem on that group date – Ben’s showing signs of being human. FINALLY he doesn’t have the perfect thing to have at the perfect time.
- JoJo’s falling big time. This was the first time I saw JoJo pull back. She must have felt pretty poorly about Ben’s Lauren B time. I’ve never seen JoJo afraid to tell Ben her opinion. Of course we find out later that she’s falling in love with him and is probably terrified of voicing her opinion. I hope she puts it all out there next week!
- Favorite quote of the night goes to Olivia, “I’m not like the other girls. I don’t like to do my nails all the time. I like to read books. I like to think.” Congrats to Olivia for enjoying the time that she thinks.
That’s all I’ve got for now. My 22 month old daughter is going to be screaming my name in exactly 6 hours, so it’s to go.
Check out DailyNews.com tomorrow afternoon to see my opinion piece offering advice for why it’s sometimes better to be single on Valentine’s Day.
Jury is out on Lauren B still for me. I’m not going to lie…maybe Leah placed the tiniest seed of doubt in my head too. My top picks are JoJo and Becca. I don’t want Caila’s confusion to override Ben’s need for someone who will fall head over heels for him. Happy Valentine’s Day to all you love birds. Xoxo