I think my heart is still beating as fast as JoJo’s was throughout this entire episode. My mind is in a zillion places – no different than Ben on the morning of his proposal day, no doubt. Watching this episode was like being on a roller coaster of excitement, hope and insanity. Going into tonight, I predicted that he’s choose Lauren B, but was definitely leaning towards hoping that JoJo was his choice. By the end of the first hour of the episode, I found myself going all in on JoJo and really hoping he would choose her.
- How many women can you actually lay all your cards out on the table with – including that you’re in love with another woman as well – and have that woman still be there for you, stand by you and trust you with their heart?
- He’s referred to JoJo and his conversations with her as being the deepest, most connected and calming. He says they have passion, romance, etc.
- He calls JoJo his best friend – what more do you want than that (and her boobs?)
- Did you see her rock that bright yellow bikini in the water and how amazing her blondish highlights at her ends curled upwards look with her big brown eyes just asking to be loved?
- Looks aside, doesn’t JoJo just seem so real? Like the girl you want to stay up all night and laugh with and just adore in every way possible? Wait, am I in love with JoJo? That could be. Am I in love with Ben AND JoJo? Oh wow – I just figured out how Ben must feel.
- JoJo and Ben have been through some ups and downs along their journey – their connection wasn’t all about initial chemistry and attraction. It developed naturally over time. They worked through their issues with great communication and got to a stronger place. She seemed to be his rock throughout this crazy journey.
- Lauren B and Ben have never had a conflict yet. Why didn’t he completely share with her how he was feeling about JoJo? It’s not like all his thoughts of JoJo disappeared when he was with Lauren B – he seemed pretty shaken on both their boat ride together and their last night together. That would have been a perfect time to test some conflict. Did he not feel comfortable doing so?
- Ben’s mother even voiced that the JoJo meet and greet was “different” (in a positive way) than Lauren B. They kept referring to Lauren as “polished” whereas JoJo just had this very real and warm feeling about her. She voiced right away that Ben is hard on himself (something that Ben’s mother had to point out to Lauren B). Moms always know – that’s all I’m saying. Lauren’s got to be psyched that JoJo is the next Bachelorette, or she’d probably always wonder if Ben’s having any Jason Mesnick feelings of regret. What happens when they have their first big fight? Will Ben be on the next plane to Texas?
- Lauren B has a very real “trophy wife” kind of feel to her. She’s sweet and happy and seems very much to adore Ben, but even at the end of the show, Ben said twice that he “couldn’t wait to show her off.” I don’t understand this comment. We’ve all already seen them together. What does he want to show off exactly – her beauty? Her commitment to him even knowing that he loved someone else at the same time? Does he just feel guilty? They really do look like Barbie and Ken together and they have perfect families as well. I just don’t know how they will deal once the cameras are gone, she’s moved to Denver and realizes that they have to be regular people – only she wants to be a pilot and fly for a living and he wants to plant roots.
Ok, so some specific comments about tonight’s episode: Ben looked even more amazing than last week, if that’s possible. I loved his clothing choices – very sporty but casual but classy. If the software salesman thing doesn’t work out, he could certainly be a runway model. So could Lauren B and JoJo. I was a bit confused about his hair on the After the Final Rose segment. It looked particularly fluffy – maybe not gelled? Also, he was going with some patchy facial hair – not my favorite look. He seemed very pale compared to JoJo, but that’s because they legitimately spray tan the crap out of all of their Bachelorettes, when they’re announced. She still looked absolutely beautiful.
Other thoughts about tonight – I’m still in literal shock that Ben was still telling both women that he was absolutely in love with them right until the end. What did you guys think about this? I mean, even when JoJo asked him point blank – what are his doubts about her – Ben couldn’t name one thing. NOT ONE THING. I could name 2 (her brothers). And the fact that she wants to stay in Texas. Ben didn’t even see those things as issues. When they were at that waterfall and she raised the fact that they hadn’t spoken very much about their future together, he agreed. I was surprised by this. He’s in love with her, but they hadn’t spoken about logistics of their future? Could this really be? Was this the case with Lauren B? How do you plan to marry someone without speaking about your future plans? Or are we just missing some camera time when these conversations took place?
Ben wakes up on the day he’s getting engaged and still doesn’t know who he wants to marry? WHAAAAAAAAT? My stomach was in knots at this point. Anyone else?
Is it really the Neil Lane engagement rings that gave him clarity? How can Lauren B see this episode and feel reassured? Ben is saying these wonderfully loving and perfect things to JoJo like when he makes his decision it will be forever and blah blah blah. I thought – my goodness, Ben and JoJo connect on a whole other level that I’ve never seen with Lauren B. They are true partners. True loves. True communicators. She’s amazing and he’s amazing and they would make perfect brunette amazing babies together. Even in his confusion, JoJo is there for him. She’s not freaking out – she just asks questions. And he’s assuring her that he’s in love with her. And when asked later – he doesn’t even regret saying that he loves JoJo. WHAT??? OMG OMG. I am so in love with Ben and JoJo at this point.
That gorgeous sequin pink gown steps out of the limo first. DAMN IT. WTF??? He looks at a Neil Lane ring and knows it’s Lauren B? What? How? Is he really ready to say goodbye to his amazing relationship (really more than a relationship – it was LOVE, I felt it!) with JoJo? I still don’t understand what went wrong with them. And hearing Ben explain to her that he still loves her makes it all the more confusing. Is it a mistake? Will he run after the limo? Will he call her to turn around? How can this be?????? I feel heartbroken. My heart was pounding. I had tears in my eyes watching JoJo pull away. I felt blindsided too, JoJo!!!
Yes – I know her brothers were crazy and her dad was hostile and maybe it wasn’t the most ideal, warm welcoming family to get involved with, but Ben and JoJo’s love seemed real and something that could last. To watch him send her away felt like a kick in the gut to me. Their connection felt real and strong. They were each other’s biggest supporters and they had tough conversations which made me think they had a chance in the real world.
So then out comes Lauren. She’s gorgeous in blue and happy and excited. I mean, Ben seems happy, so I’m happy for him. BUT, Lauren just didn’t have that Wow factor for me like JoJo did.
On the other hand…WE’VE GOT OUR NEW BACHELORETTE. When Chris Harrison said it wasn’t who we thought it would be, I thought they were going to give us Caila or present some nonsense where poor JoJo would have to compete with Caila to become Bachelorette like last season. Even as I watched JoJo reunite with Ben, she was so gracious and polite – wishing Ben and Lauren well, that I thought – well, she seems like she’s all lit up inside again. Either she met someone new or she’s the next Bachelorette. Because how else do you get over Ben Higgins?? What happens if we learn that Ben breaks up with Lauren B half way through JoJo’s season. Will he come running for JoJo? Now THAT could be the best Bachelorette season ever. And how do you cast 25 men that are better than Ben?
One other important question – can you believe that Bachelorette Kaitlyn Bristowe actually passed over Ben Higgins? I mean, WHATTTTT? BIG MISTAKE, HUGE.
I’m certainly thrilled that JoJo is the Bachelorette or we were looking at a very dull season of Lauren B or Caila. JoJo will be amazing – but I hope she has some great guys in the mix. I’d be very happy if they could bring back some stars from previous seasons to compete like the other Ben from Kaitlyn’s season.
So what do you all think? Did it seem like they ran out of things to talk about by the end of the show? I guess they left time in case there was an actual wedding, but Ben is a wise man and he wasn’t going to rush it. I’m glad to hear that Lauren will be moving to Denver shortly – that will actually give them a real shot at making it work. I guess that’s one benefit of Lauren B – Ben won’t have to move to Texas. Lauren looked beautiful tonight in her white lace dress. They really are a perfect looking couple (with Ben’s hair gel).
Ok, it’s way too late. I feel like I’ve been through an emotional car wash of extreme hopefulness turn disappointment turned shock and then resolution with JoJo being crowned Bachelorette. Hoping you all found peace in tonight’s show. If things don’t work out for Ben & Lauren B (are they maybe the first couple that I wouldn’t be disappointed if they split or is that just selfish?), I’d vote him as a repeat Bachelor any day (second to him pursuing JoJo, as long as we get to watch). I’m still thinking that Ben misses his best friend, JoJo.
I’ll leave you with that thought. And if you have a void in your life now that The Bachelor is over and need some new entertainment – pick up a copy of my book, Knot the One. Hear all about how The Husband and I ended up together (after our own rollercoaster). You can buy it in e-book, hard copy or audio book version here: Knot The One. If you haven’t already, you can check out what me, The Husband, my toddler daughter Ellie and adorable dog are all up to on Instagram and Twitter. Handle for both is @OfficeStace.
As always, I want to thank my readers for following with me on another Bachelor journey. This was certainly a season that will go down in the record books and I’m always grateful for all of your comments and fierce love for this show. Get ready for May 23rd for JoJo’s journey – which is right around the corner. Check back here for updates in between.
Thank you, Bachelor Nation and OfficeStace fans! Now let’s hear what you thought? #TeamJoJo? #TeamLaurenB? #TeamBenForLife